Friday, November 05, 2004

Just a little more wallowing...

I don't want to turn this into a political rant-a-thon, which is like a walk-a-thon with 14% less spandex, but a friend just emailed yet another article (click on the title to read it) about voter fraud and it got me all het up again. Now, I knew that stories of fraud were going to bandied about, but why are all of the stories I hear about the suppression or destruction of votes in areas with republican commissioners or perpetrated by republican volunteers? Has anyone found a case of a bizarre computer error making all the machines tally up more votes for Kerry? Have volunteers been harrassing rich white guys at the polling places? (we're not counting deo) Seriously, I want to hear those stories... I want equality in my corruption! Well, not really, but I think you know where I'm coming from. Blah.

Okay, I'm done. I promise. Time to get over it.

Now for something totally unrelated:

A really good place to go to look up new movies is rottentomatoes.com. It compiles a ton of movie reviews, using a very complex and arcane process I call math, and comes up with a handy dandy percentage of positive reviews versus negative. I know a lot of people who say reviewers are full of crap and movies are subjective, blah blah blah, and to them I say: yes, movies are subjective, but when 97 reviewers out of 100 say a movie is a complete and utter mess and the three positive reviews are from local papers from some town in Mississippi with a population of 6, I think you can trust that said movie is perhaps a little less than oscar-worthy. That's a rather bad analogy, considering they'll give anyone an oscar these days, but garbage is garbage, kids.

Here are a few other things that kept me from jumping off a cliff this week:
Hob Nobs, Ben & Jerry's, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and Lazlo Bane's album, 11 Transistor.



3 Comments:

Blogger Duane said...

I haven't been this confused since the end of Gigli...

"How does Affleck keep getting work?"

9:34 AM  
Blogger Duane said...

Speaking of voter irregularities, boy do I have a tale for you...

Once upon a time there was a CEO of a company that makes voting machines. This CEO made lots of contributions over the years to republican causes, and raised over $100,000 for Bush in the most recent election. Last fall he wrote a letter pledging his commitment to helping Ohio deliver its ballots to Bush.

Another fine fellow, who was the director of a different voting machine company, decided to run for Senate in Nebraska in 1996. He beat the popular former governor on the very machines that his company sold to the state (they tallied 85% of the vote).

Read the story here on Mother Jones. Scary Stuff. There are some folks out there (e.g. Randi Rohdes on Air America) who think that there were shenanigans with the voting machines. The exit polls were right and Kerry really won.

I don't think I'd go that far, but there's got to be some accountability for these voting machines in future elections. For many of the machines, there are no paper trails, making recounts impossible. The code to their software is propietary, so we really have no idea what's going on in the tallying.

A consumer organization called Black Box Voting has requested computer voting records in the most recent election under the Freedom of Information Act. Their site is worth checking out.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't doubt there was voter fraud on BOTH sides [I know a number of votes here were barely caught when they found some votes submitted by people who died within the last year]...

But I wouldn't count on exit polls. Just like any other poll, there is a margin of error. Also, they stand outside the voter area and ask you the questions... I'm sure that the people who voted for Bush in the 'blue' states would beel about as comfortable talking about it in public as some one in Texas would feel about admitting that they voted for Kerry.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home