Monday, November 29, 2004

Where in the world is Suriname?

Every couple of years, a study comes out showing how bad Americans are at geography. An embarrasingly high percentage of Americans think Canada is south of the boarder or can't find D.C. on a map, and inevitably, this causes the media to go apeshit, parents to get pissed, and liberal elitest bluestaters (like myself) to kick back and feel mildly superior to the ignorant masses.

The newest report doesn't try to be scientific, but does allow you to see how you match up against your countrymen and enjoy some humility pie.

The Geography Olympics was started by former engineer Roger Andresen, whose goal is to educate the public on geographic book learnin'. Players have 200 seconds to locate 10 randomly selected countries. Players from the U.S. rank 113th behind players from Suriname and Malawi (forget, for a moment, the selection pool/size problem....62 people from Malawi vs. 57,230 Americans).

globe

I scored an embarrasing 60% on the quiz, doing zilch to improve the U.S. ranking.

2 Comments:

Blogger shannon said...

Wow. That was an ass-kicking I could have done without. Oh, and I found Suriname. It's where I thought Paraguay was. In my lame-ass ignorant defense, I think the USSR was still together the last time I looked at a world map. You know, before Yoko broke them up.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Duane said...

No more USSR? yeah right. Next you're going to be telling me that both the Berlin Wall and New Coke are a thing of the past.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home