Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A festivus for the rest of us

So, I'm writing this big book report about arts festivals in the UK. And I just came across this classic quote from an organiser of one of the smaller festivals that pretty much sums up how misguided arts funding is (but at least there is arts funding here!).

"You won't get a penny out of anyone with a Bach violin concerto. If we put on a troupe of Sengalese one-legged musicians, then we'd get money from everyone – the disability people, arts people, etc. But that's not what we're about. I'm not sure our audiences want that."

I'm just picturing the Sengalese one-legged in the musician in the pub after the show. I'd buy him a pint!

4 Comments:

Blogger shannon said...

totally unrelated note: I saw a guy on the T the other day who didn't have any arms, and he was managing to read the paper with his feet without bumping into the people on either side of him. amazing!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Duane said...

I want to see the guy with no arms and the one legged musician compete in the traditional feats of strength.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

my money's on the no arms guy

6:35 AM  
Blogger shannon said...

but the one-legged guy could tickle him, and then it would be all over...

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home